Where to start with the Adoption Council of Canada

Where To Start

Not sure where to begin? We can help

Find out how to get your adoption process on the right track from the start.

Find out how you can help the Adoption Council of Canada

Join Us

Find out how you can help us

We rely on people like you for growth and support. See how you can help us.

Join The Adoption Council of Canada

Intercountry/International Adoptions

Intercountry Adoptions

Both the provinces and territories as well as the federal government play a role in intercountry adoption

Here's a list of private adoption agencies that are licensed to work overseas.

British Columbia




Non-Government Links

Here are some of the major adoption organizations.

International Links

Intercountry Adoption Services (IAS), a unit within Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), works directly with the provinces and territories to provide information and guidance. To learn more, please click here.


The federal government is responsible for the immigration of the child to Canada. The child can enter Canada either as a citizen or with a permanent resident visa. To understand both of these processes and to make an informed decision for your child, please click here.

Hague Convention

Canada is a party to the Hague Convention of 29 May 1993 on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoptions. The Hague Convention aims to protect children and their families against the risks of illegal, irregular, premature or ill-prepared adoptions abroad.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is the Federal Central Authority for the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption and it, along with the provinces and territories, is responsible for the implementation of the Convention.  To learn more, please click here.